Sunday 10 February 2008

Scribbles and Scribes...


This is more to do with my creative writing course than drawing, but I wanted to put these up here to show how doodling and drawings can be handy when writing a story. I often like to draw scenes/characters etc. to help me focus my writing and give me a better idea of what it is I'm writing about. I also like to create 'extra-textual' add-ons for stories: pamphlets, postcards, and in the above case, character's business cards, to give a bit of uneccessary but fun depth to a story.

The spooky pic above is something I made back in December for my short story 'The Dead Drop', just to help me visualise the world and characters I was writing about. It's the business card belonging to The Great Doctor Theophrastus, who's a Victorian magician of great talent and repute. I like that it's morbid but amusing (which is what I was going for in the story in general), and having it to hold and put up on my noticeboard really did help.
As I'm working on a 'Dead Drop' spin-off and still in the development stages to see if it'll work as a novel, I'll be producing more of this kind of stuff, some of which'll make it here, some of which'll make it to the bin...





0 comments: