Monday 12 January 2009

Mister Jackson's right...



Where have all the good men gone? And where are all the Gods? Where's the streetwise Hercules to - wait, no, hang on, that's 'I Need A Hero'...right, anyway...back to the original point...

Mister Christopher Jackson - friend, Frasier fan, and all-round fine fellow (ahh, I adore alliteration) - has written a really nice piece on the demise of the gentleman that I'd like to point you to. It also gives me an excuse to publish this archive piece of Too Close For Comfort which was published all the way back in 1886 in Punched magazine by my great great grandfather Sir Oswald Gravyboat-Smedley the Third when he drew the cartoon series. Sir Oswald Gravyboat-Smedley was, of course, the first Smedley to draw Queen Victoria riding a donkey on Blackpool beach. He was also famous for providing illustrations for the short-lived publication Corseted Women Weekly, and for inventing the luminous top hat (for well-dressed gentlemen who found themselves down mine-shafts). He died in 1898, drowing at sea whilst attempting to swim The Channel while wearing an anvil.

Anyway, Chris' article on the demise of the gentleman, 'Where have all the good guys gone?' is at the link below and I urge you to read it because it's very good and, as a fellow gentleman, I agree with every word of it.

0 comments: