Tuesday 9 June 2009

Rogues Gallery #5

The final Batman rogues gallery features two characters I'm not really keen on but who are well-known enough to draw: Bane and Killer Croc. Super-pumped Bane has a real 'mucha lucha wrestler' thing going so I stuck to it, with a minimalist costume. He's all about brainpower and sheer strength - there's no need for an elaborate costume because he doesn't need it. He'll kick your ass either way.
Kilelr Croc often looks super-muscly too, but I prefer to make him more lithe and reptilian (without straying into Spider-Man's Lizard territory). He's an outcast who stalks the sewers, so I gave him a long trench coat (which I think I'll go back and make grubbier) to hide his ugly, scaly body, jogging suit bottoms to make sure he can move freely and quickly, and sunglasses as I like to think living in the gloom of the sewers has made him overly-sensitive to light. Getting the right balance between man and crocodile is tricky and varies wildly in the comics. Sometimes he looks like a scaly-faced man, other times he looks like a giant, full-blown were-croc with the snout and tail. I took the design from the animated Batman series and then added my own stuff from there.

That's all for the Batman's rogues gallery. Let me know what you think of them. Batman himself will appear soon enough - I'm still trying to get him right. But I've really enjoyed drawing the characters so I think I'll move on to other DC comics characters. I'm not sure which ones yet, but I do have my eye on the Justice League...

0 comments: